Full moon, Assentoft, Denmark

Saturday 26th of June 2010

I can't get enough full moon pictures really, it's always exciting being out when the moon light is so strong that the Scandinavian summer night almost become as light as day.

I had planned this shot for some time and when I saw the weather forecast for the night, I couldn't wait. Clear weather with no wind, optimal conditions for what I had in mind. On this beautiful evening around midnight, I saw many bats hunting over the lake but also another night hunter came very close to me; a Tawny Owl was flying very low just over my head - an outstanding experience. I was out all night and suddenly the mist was hanging low over the meadow making it difficult to photograph anything, because it made my lenses and filters condensate and difficult to obtain sharp images as a result.

What you can't see on this idyllic image, is all the mosquitoes and other insects making me almost lose my mind! - but I got the shot anyways!



Full moon at the Lake
(Nikon D700, Nikkor AFS 16-35mm 4,0 VR ED, Graduated ND 0,9S filter, iso 400, tripod)

Mist and Moon Light
(Nikon D700, Nikkor AFS 300mm 2,8 VR ED, iso 400, tripod)

Summer Night
(Nikon D700, Nikkor AFS 16-35mm 4,0 VR ED, Graduated ND 0,9S filter, iso 800, tripod)

7 comments:

  1. My jar is dropping ... wow.
    Never seen the moon in that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really nice capture, Jesper - the moon looks more like the sun, and love the lighting on the grass in the foreground (almost as though there's a slight lick of flash on them to illuminate the camera-side of the blades).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a small flashlight, that I always carry with me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding shot Jesper.
    I'm wondering about the light on the nearside of the grasses. Did you use a little fill flash? Excellent either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like your shot a lot! It has a very special mood. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shot, just curious, what flashlight were you using?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used an old StealhLite Flashlight!

    ReplyDelete