Noctilucent clouds, Assentoft, Denmark

Thursday 15th of July 2010

Just around midnight the other day, I was looking out my bedroom window and saw this phenomenon that I like to photograph every summer. I found my camera, fitted a 105mm lens and began shooting - using a tripod of course.

Noctilucent clouds are visible in a deep twilight and they are the highest clouds in the Earth's atmosphere, located in the mesosphere at altitudes of around 76 to 85 kilometers; the name means roughly "night shining" in Latin. They are normally too faint to be seen, and are visible only when illuminated by sunlight from below the horizon while the lower layers of the atmosphere are in the Earth's shadow. Noctilucent clouds are not fully understood and are a recently discovered meteorological phenomenon; there is no evidence that they were observed before 1885. The clouds can show a large variety of different patterns and forms - very photogenic.

Since their relatively recent classification, the occurrence of Noctilucent clouds appears to be increasing in frequency, brightness and extent. It is theorized that this increase is connected to climate change. (Wikipedia)

(Nikon D700, Nikkor AFS 105mm 2,8 VR ED Micro, iso 200, tripod)

2 comments:

  1. That's a good one you got there. I really like the pattern of the skies and also the nice contrast between the skies and the dark trees.
    Thanks for the magnificent inspiration - I will frequently visit your blog to see more of your work.

    All the best
    Morten Hilmer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Morten for your comment, being the first one to make comment on my new blog. You are most welcome to visit my blog anytime!

    ReplyDelete