Image of the Month - FEBRUARY 2010

Trees and Aurora Borealis, Abisko N.P. Sweden

Seven years has passed since my last winter journey to Swedish Lapland in the Northern part of Scandinavia. In the years: 2000, 2001 and 2003 I spent ten weeks on different locations in Lapland during January and the first weeks of February. Since then I've had a lot of other projects to do, and it has been hard to find the time to get back to the magical Northern Midwinter Wilderness.

This time I spent ten days making a new portfolio on one of the oldest National Parks in Europe; Abisko National Park established in 1909. Why do I want to go back to this cold place at this time of the year, you might ask; the answer is really simple - the quality of the light and the various landscapes located in a small area. Midwinter in Lapland is dominated by a deep blue light and in February the sun gain time every day, bringing a warm tone to the cold scene. In the evenings the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) can be seen on a clear star filled night sky.

The Northern Lights was of course first on my list of images to be made. I borrowed the Nikkor AFS 14-24mm 2,8 ED lens from a friend of mine and I'm really glad that I did, it's simply an outstanding performer for this type of photography.


(Nikon D700, Nikkor 14-24mm 2,8 ED, iso 1600, tripod)

No comments:

Post a Comment