A photographers Nightmare

This a true horror Story from my last trip to Råbjerg Mile; I experienced every photographers nightmare, when my camera and lens accidently was dropped into the sand and became totally covered in millions of tiny grains of sand - the ultimate dust test :0

One blustery evening just before sunset I was out on the great dune, photographing sand patterns in the landscape. The westerly wind was quite strong and sand was flying in the air, I respect the forces of nature and normally protect my equipment as good as I can. On my tripod my Nikon D700 was fitted with my favourite landscape lens Nikkor PC-E 24mm, together with a Lee filter-holder and a graduated ND filter.

I was working hard to make some great shots that evening, but around sunset I stopped and enjoyed the moment watching the sunset. My tripod was standing behind me and I did not see when my equipment was knocked over by a strong wind-blow and my camera equipment managed to lay in the sand for a few minutes, being totally covered in millions of tiny grains of sand, before I saw it to my shock and horror.

There were sand everywhere and the play button on my D700 was stuck and the focus ring on my precious lens was making an awful sound, the Lee 4x6" filter was almost ruined. It took me more than 30 minutes to clean my equipment as good as I could with my Lenspen brush and a microfibre-cloth, I got most of the sand out of my equipment.

I missed the beautiful golden evening sky, but still managed to get a few twilight shots anyway. When I returned to the summerhouse I spend a lot of time cleaning my equipment, removing the last sand particles with my air-blower - making it fully operational to the "dawn-patrol". If you want to see other images from that evening: LINK

After this experience I can say with confidence that my Nikon D700 and PC-E 24mm lens, is as dust proof as it gets!

(Nikon D700, Nikkor PC-E 24mm 3,5 ED, iso 200, tripod)


The Råbjerg Mile Collection - Great Sand Dunes of the North Sea Coast, Denmark

No comments:

Post a Comment