Tawny Owl

This afternoon I was out and about, I was walking in my own thoughts, suddenly I heard a eerie scream from an old beech tree, I did not see it at first but there it was. I reckon that the young birds were nearby, but luckily it did not attack me!

This species is fearless in defence of its nest and young, and, like other Strix owls, strikes for the intruder's head with its sharp talons. Because its flight is silent, it may not be detected until it is too late to avoid the danger. Dogs, cats and humans may be assaulted, sometimes without provocation. Perhaps the best-known victim of the Tawny Owl's fierce attack was the renowned bird photographer Eric Hosking, who lost an eye when struck by a bird he was attempting to photograph near its nest. He later called his autobiography An Eye for a Bird. (Wikipedia)


(Nikon D700, Nikkor VR 70-200/2,8 II, iso 200, handheld)

No comments:

Post a Comment