First impressions of Lacie P’9223 Slim SSD drive

I'm absolutely no computer expert, so don't read this as a product test! I give my first impressions of this solid made SSD drive as a photographer who needed a light, secure and fast backup drive for travel use; the new Lacie Porche Design P´9223 with a 120GB SSD drive is the perfect solution for me.

Copying a CF card is swift with a Sandisk usb 3,0 card reader and the Lacie SSD drive, connected to my computer.

History
I still remember my first external hard-drive, it was a Maxtor 120GB drive with usb 2,0 I can't remember how many years ago it was, but at the time I was excited to have a simple back-up solution. A lot have changed since then and I trashed the Maxtor drive a few years back, it was slow and heavy, but it is funny that the price of the Maxtor were the same then as the new Lacie 120GB SSD drive is today. 

Recently I bought a new laptop to replace my seven year old laptop, my new PC has a SSD drive and soon I was amazed by the speed and high performance by it and I decided to get an external SSD drive to back up my files on the move. The Porche designed LaCie P'9223 Slim-drive is the thinnest 2.5-inch storage device from LaCie - 30 percent thinner than the previous edition.

The Slim-drive is very compact and light - only 182 g.

Rugged and Secure
The slim design is rugged too!, the combination of a sturdy aluminium casing and SSD technology, you don't need to worry about accidental drops! Since SSDs resist shock better than hard drives, the product will keep your data protected even if it falls off your desk while turned on.

Built for Speed
I have used Lacie hard-drives for many years now, I like their rugged design and high quality materials, and soon I fell in love with the super fast Porche designed Slim-drive. After using it for a few months, all I can say is WOW, it is lightning FAST, but it is also very very quiet and it doesn't buzz or make annoying sounds and it doesn't overheat even after several hours of continuous work - I'm deeply impressed. The speed is said to be up to 400MB/s and I think it is true, a Sandisk Extreme 16GB CF card is transferred super fast, but the drive is even faster copying files from the computer to the drive. For the same price of the slim-drive you can buy a standard 2TB hard-drive, but you will only get a fraction of the speed.

Transfer Speed

Copying a memory card via PC - Sandisk CF Extreme 16GB 60MB/s - Sandisk Extreme usb 3,0 card-reader to Lacie Slim-drive: 6 minutes and 38 seconds.

Copying 15GB from Lacie Slim-drive to PC (SSD): 1 minute 40 seconds.

Copying 15GB from PC (SSD) to Lacie Slim-drive: 2 minutes 46 seconds.

Summary
The price for SSD drives is still very high compared with standard hard-drives, but when you first have tried a SSD drive you'll never go back; the future is silent, responsive and secure. The price will go down and the capacity will go up and maybe within a few years, the era of the ancient hard-drive technology is over. If you want a FAST, simple and secure backup device for travelling light, I highly recommend the Lacie Slim-drive! 

Rating: Build Quality: 10/10 - Functionality: 9/10 - Performance: 10/10

Final Words
One minor critical thing is the metal casing, though very premium and solid, it has sharp edges. Note to the designers for the next generation: please make the edges and corners softer!. The design is a matter of taste, in this case only the speed is Porsche like, the design is more like a Land Rover, but personally I prefer functionality over design!.

My computer and Slim-drive in action.  
Conclusion - Pros:

+ High quality materials
+ Low weight of only 182 g.
+ Very slim - only 11mm thick
+ Built for Speed (Up to 400MB/s)
+ SSD in combination with USB 3,0 
+ Fast, Silent, Responsive and Secure
+ Slim, Rugged and Solid aluminium body
+ USB bus-powered

Conclusion - Cons:

- Expensive GB ratio
- Sharp edges

2 comments:

  1. Hei, hvor lang tid tar overføring av 16GB?

    Hilsen Kai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej Kai

      Mange tak for kommentaren din!

      Transfer Speed:

      Copying a memory card via PC - Sandisk CF Extreme 16GB 60MB/s - Sandisk Extreme usb 3,0 card-reader to Lacie Slim-drive: 6 minutes and 38 seconds.

      Copying 15GB from Lacie Slim drive to PC: 1 minutes 40 seconds.

      Copying 15GB from PC (SSD) to Lacie Slim-drive: 2 minutes 46 seconds.

      GOD JUL og GODT NYTÅR
      Jesper Tønning

      Delete